Monday, November 30, 2020

Mass Communication Icon, Prof Enoh Tanjong Retires at the age of 65

Renowned associate professor of journalism and mass communication professor Enoh Tanjong on Saturday November 21, 2020 at Parliamentarian Flat Hotel Buea throw a party to celebrate his 65th birthday and 40 years of service. This come after  his retirement on October 10, 2020.


During the party attended by renowned professors, communication experts, members of parliament, legal officials and hundreds of his former students, the iconic professor was described as a man who have touched many hearts throughout his 40 years of service. He was call an exemplary father and a genuine intellectual who have live footprints behind in the sand of time for many to follow.

In response to the praise lavished by colleagues, family and friends, Prof Tanjong burst into tears saying “I don’t know what to said. This is the height of my life, I’m overwhelmed…’’. Present at the event was the former vice chancellor of the University of Buea Professor Vincent PK Titanji who through his words point Prof Tanjong as a self-motivated person with sharp character and an exemplary simplicity. He praise Prof Tanjong for the reliability of the journalism department when he was head of department from 1993-2005.

Journalist and colleagues of Prof Tanjong among them, the Vice Dean of admission and records, faculty of Arts UBa Prof Muluh Henry point out that Prof Tanjong is not just a mentor but a father to him. “I actually got into JMC and the University of Buea thanks to Enoh Tanjong. He has been my mentor and everything to me. When I got back from further studies in the UK, I never knew I was going to be a lecturer in the University. My intention was to work probably in TV production but I was shocked to find out that Enoh saw potentials in me when I filed my application. He then decided to take me first as a part-time lecturer and later as a full-time lecturer and he believed in me. He empowered his colleagues because if I know some sort of administration today, it’s thanks to Enoh Tanjong. Personally he has empowered me a lot and I’ll forever remain grateful to him. I know he’s retiring but he still has a lot to do for us. It has been a wonderful working relationship. He’s not only a mentor but he is like a father to me” said Prof Muluh (source: thesuncameroon.cm)

It should be noted that within Prof Enoch Tanjong 40 years of service, he has served on some important position like Head of Department of JMC UB which he was one of the founding father of the department; Vice Dean of Programs and Academic affairs of the faculty of Social and Management science of UB.

With his publications, ‘’Africa in the international Communication’’ and “Media Balance in Sub Sahara Africa’s: Fragile Democracy'' amongst many, Prof Tanjong had been an influential being with wide knowledge in communication and development in the third world. He has been one of the influence brain in the creation of the department of Communication and Development Studies of UBa.


Tanjong has worked consultancies with national and international organizations some of which are Heifer, Plan international Cameroon, Rumpi project and WWF. This proved him as a Development communicator  who has contributed to the success of developmental project in Cameroon. His most visible legacy is the department of Journalism and Mass Communication UB which started in 1993 with him as the head of Department.

                      By Nchinda Nelvis Yuh


No comments:

Post a Comment

SOPISDEW Oral Dental Campaign

  The society for the Promotion of Initiatives in Sustainable Development and Welfare on the August 1, 2021, drew a curtain to the second ph...